Former Matungu Member of Parliament David Were is mourning the death of his son, Hannington Were, 39, who was stabbed and killed in a suspected robbery attack in Kisumu.
Police and witnesses said the deceased was accosted by two men riding on a motorcycle who trailed him before attacking him and stealing his belongings. He sustained multiple stab wounds and succumbed to injuries despite efforts to rush him to hospital.
The victim was rushed to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH) following the attack.
However, Hannington was pronounced dead on arrival at the facility, while his friend survived the attack and remains admitted to the hospital, fighting for his life.

Speaking in a presser on Sunday, May 24, 2026, the former ODM legislator said he had been informed by medical personnel that his son had suffered stab wounds during the incident.
“Kule kwa hospitali naambiwa alipelekwa around saa nane ya usiku, na alipofika waliambiwa tayari alikuwa ashakufa. Ule ameniongelesha alisema alikuwa na stab wounds,” David Were said.
Police have since launched investigations into the fatal attack as detectives seek to establish the motive behind the assault and identify those responsible.
The incident has shocked residents and leaders in the region, coming amid growing concerns over violent attacks in urban areas at night.
Second son killed in four months
The former MP said the latest killing has reopened painful wounds, coming barely four months after another son was also killed in January in what remains an unresolved case.
“Within four months, I am going to bury two sons. One was killed in Nairobi by his neighbor and now another has been killed. Up to now, no arrests have been made and no justice has been served,” he lamented.
Were also revealed that he himself survived an attack in May 2023 near the Lake Basin area in Kisumu, an incident he says was reported but never properly investigated.
